A Binocular vision assessment is an essential part of a comprehensive eye exam. A binocular vision assessment can detect problems with how your eyes work together, which affects your ability to see. If you experience problems with binocular vision, our doctor may recommend treatment options to help improve your vision.
What is binocular vision?
Binocular vision is the ability of your eyes to work together as a team. Our eyes capture two different images; these images become fused into one clear picture in the brain. This process allows you to see clearly and accurately with both eyes.
Under certain circumstances, binocular vision can get disrupted. This disruption occurs when the eyes are not in proper alignment. This misalignment causes the brain to struggle with completing an accurate image. The brain will force the muscles surrounding your eyes to fix this discrepancy. This fix is only temporary—your eyes will continue to become misaligned. This continuous cycle of eye misalignment and correction will cause vision problems, including muscle strain, tired eyes, and imbalanced vision.
Some common causes of binocular vision dysfunctions include:
• Convergence insufficiency is the decreased ability to focus on a nearby object. Convergence insufficiency can affect one’s ability to complete near tasks, like reading or school work.
• Amblyopia (lazy eye) or strabismus (eye turn) can cause binocular vision problems, as the eyes do not work together as a team.
• Binocular vision problems can also occur in adults due to head injuries.
What are the signs of a binocular vision problem?
Since the brain cannot fuse the images produced by your eyes together, painful symptoms and behaviors can manifest. Some of these symptoms include:
• Reading or learning difficulties
• Attention or concentration issues
• Double vision
• Eyestrain Balance and mobility issues
• Poor hand-eye coordination
If you suspect that you or your child may have a binocular vision problem, it is essential to consult with one of our eye doctors. At Ark Valley Vision Care, we specialize in diagnosing and treating binocular vision problems in children and adults. We offer a wide range of services, including eye exercises, prism therapy, and vision training. If you want to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment, please give us a call at either of our locations. We would be happy to help you or your loved ones get back to seeing life!